Friday, October 7, 2011

Going home

I'll be going to my hometown tomorrow for the funeral.  It's so weird now when I go back (which I rarely do).  I lived 22 years in my hometown and then moved 2 hours away, so basically I've lived in 2 towns my whole life.  I've been here going on 20 years, so I guess this is my home now.  Still, when I go back home (and it will always be "back home") I never know what emotions I'm going to have. 
I used to get a little depressed when I went back home to see my folks.  The town has changed (in some ways) and none of my old friends are there anymore.  All I see are my parents' friends, which is not fun and I literally can't go anywhere with my mom & not run into at least one of her friends.  I'm not good at chit chat & I just feel uncomfortable.  
Recently, when I've gone back I don't feel much of anything.  Still, I wonder what my life would be like if I had never left.  Who knows and that kind of thinking isn't really productive anyway, but I have to think about something when I'm driving that boring 2 hours back home.  
It's better when my wife and/or my son goes with me, but they aren't this time.  At least I'll get to see my best friend even if it isn't under the best of circumstances.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be real, real raw. Don't be a dick.